Ernest-Baptiste LEVEILLÉ (1841-1913) & François-Eugène ROUSSEAU (1827-1891)
Rare vase in translucent glass slightly tinted with decoration of drops Mounting plant composed of leaves, branches and flowers in bronze with double golden patina decorated with a fly in application Signed "L Rousseau" and located Paris Around 1880-1890 H : 20 cm François-Eugène Rousseau, known as Eugène Rousseau, was a master glassmaker established in Paris in 1855 as a merchant specialized in porcelain and earthenware. Around 1867, he turned to glass and called upon the knowledge of Eugène Michel to engrave a whole range of glassware in the spirit of "Art Nouveau". The Japanese aesthetic will influence Rousseau's production throughout his career. Ernest-Baptiste Leveillé, a student of François-Eugène Rousseau, before becoming his associate, is considered one of the pioneers of Japonism in France. In 1867, the Appert Brothers in Clichy, made the first glassware models designed by Ernest Leveillé. Leveillé continued the work of Eugène Rousseau after his death, having bought the funds of his workshop on rue Coquillière in 1885. Together they produced glassware with gilded bronze elements in the Sino-Japanese style for luxury stores such as the Escalier de Cristal, which ordered this type of piece from their workshops in order to market it, particularly in the Japanese style that was in vogue until the First World War.